Thursday, May 27, 2010

World's Saddest Dog (i.e. Drama Queen)


Yesterday and today Lu has been acting like the worlds most pathetic, neglected dog. She has been so needy, wanting constant petting and attention and starts whining when you stop giving her attention. She wanders around the apartment and starts whining randomly. The whining and pathetic sounds have gotten out of control. Could it be in response to us being gone at work more in the last few days? We had a few days off so maybe she got used to having us around more?

We have been getting her on good walks every day, feeding regularly, pottying regularly, giving lots of playtime and attention and we do our best to ignore the whining. She has lots of toys and we try to engage her in play, which works about half the time. But we're starting to wonder if she has general anxiety or separation anxiety. She will not leave us alone and she has to know where both her humans are at all times, usually following me around everywhere. This has just developed in the last couple of days, and we have been working the last two days, meaning she was kenneled for much of the day, which we're working on getting her to realize is not so bad.

Last night we tried putting her bed next to our bed but she could not settle in. She was too anxious. She was clearly tired and her eyelids were heavy and kept closing partially but she was fighting it, trying to stay awake. When I got up to brush my teeth or go grab something she was right there next to me. She wanted me to pet her while laying in her bed (which I could reach from my side of the bed) and when I stopped she would just whine, which I would then ignore. She kept tossing and turning, making these loud exaggerated sighs and throwing her head down to the pillow dramatically. Then after a minute she'd snap her head up, whine and then throw her head back down to the pillow with a heavy sigh. We finally had to put her back in the kennel and she settled in much better there, going to sleep very soon.

Sometimes when she's lying on her dog bed in the living room she keeps getting up to go get some petting from us on the couch, then lying back down on her bed but she can't settle. So I have gone to lay on the floor next to her bed with my computer or whatever and I will rest my head on her or give her lots of reassurance and she settles in once I'm close. She is definitely happier when she's physically near her "pack" (us). Could her confidence be low since we have eased up a little on the constant verbal reassurance and praise? Any suggestions for this problem?

We've started asking her if she is the world's most pathetic dog and have started calling her a drama queen, but in reality there is clearly some anxiety going on there. Her nose has also been especially drippy, which can be a sign of stress. I think a long walk at the lake will help a lot but we'll see.

On a side note, I am lying on the floor next to her bed, typing on my computer, and I can smell urine in the carpet. It happens to be near the "site of the accident" from Sunday. We used a pet cleaner with the bissel (special pet odor and soil formula) and then sprayed Nature's Miracle on there but it seems to have maybe soaked very far into the carpet. Yuck!! Suggestions?

She is also lying next to me looking at me and whining/fussing, pawing at me and tossing her head around. Could she be bored?

I can also be reached at seckberg@inbox.com if you have suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment