Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Simple Joys of Being a Puppy



Monday morning Lu started out her day by taking a nice long pee right in the middle of the living room! She had been kenneled for about 9 hours and Chris had just let her out of her kennel and just turned his back for a second to grab her leash and she squatted and let it flow! Boy did she have to go! She looked up from under her eyebrows pathetically, as if to say "I'm sorry! I can't stop!" Even with a firm "no" she could not be interrupted. What can ya do? We just sort of shrugged and laughed about it. I then got to use my handheld Bissel carpet cleaner, which works just great!

Sunday night, into Monday morning, was the first time we didn't take Lu out to potty at 6:30am, as we were advised she is perfectly capable of holding it. We ignored the whining and when she got anxious and was trying to rip apart her bed in her kennel again, I told her "ah ah ah" and told her sweetly to lay down. She did exactly as told and I praised her verbally from the comfort of my warm bed, then went back to sleep. She was such a good girl (with the exception of the post-kenneling potty incident)!

Last night, Monday night, into Tuesday morning, we used no melatonin and she did great! Also, no house pottying! She has been getting anxious and nervous when we start getting ready for work, particularly when I start drying my hair. So we're going to have to do some more random kenneling (short periods of time in her kennel that are not related to us being gone for very long periods of time) and I'll have to get spiffed up on non work days as well, so she doesn't associate my primping with being left alone for 8 hours. We gave her her Kong with frozen yogurt and peanut butter, along with some kibble. I like the idea of having special treats JUST for the kong.

Luna has been shedding a lot so we have been brushing her and lint-rollering her a lot. She is very patient while we do this, though she'll do anything for a little attention. I have also been vacuuming every couple of days, which she doesn't mind at all! She seems to be passed the phase of getting real scared or anxious about things and is now more "briefly spooked" on occasion, which she moves on from almost immediately. Not many things really bother her, she is more curious now.

Last night after work she had fun playing with the frogs and toads that occupy the wetlands we live right next to. After walking through every puddle, she was sniffing the pavement for the perfect spot and a "rock" in her path suddenly sprang out - it was a big toad! She was certainly startled by this new experience, befuddled even. Her ears perked and her eyes popped open. She then followed it with her nose innocently - incredulously - and when it sprang up again, she was startled once again, taking a quick step back before continuing to sniff it. One of the toads stood very still as she sniffed it with her nose touching it. She continued following the toads as she kept finding new ones. She also sniffed right by a teeny tiny one that managed to hold very still and evade her attention.

Both yesterday and today Luna went out of her way to walk through every single giant puddle in the parking lot near her potty spot (since it rained a lot). She will swerve and tug on the leash to be able to trot through each one and it makes a little "pit pat pit pat" sound. One of her favorite things to do is piddle in the puddles. Maybe she likes the sound.

She has not been as responsive to commands outside, seeming more distracted (this is true of inside behaviors too, actually) and she likes to try to pull the leash-holder anywhere she wants to go, which we try not to let her do. I think she is testing limits. She has been doing SO well ignoring other dogs barking, though. When her attention goes to a bark and she tenses up, I just say "ah ah" and sometimes give a gentle tug to the leash and it snaps her attention away from the exciting noise. She still gets excited when she sees another dog but is fairly redirectable.

Today Chris and I both took her for a walk at the apartment complex across the street that has two ponds on the property, both with fountains and lots of grassy shade. It was very blissful and we sighed as we walked hand in hand: our little family. Suddenly there was a gaggle of geese waddling towards us anxiously - about 6 or 7. They were honking obnoxiously (as they do) and Lu stopped dead in her tracks and perked up, eyes locked on the alien creatures approaching. I think they were even taller than she is - they were very large. Then they all flew in a frenzied unison and landed in the pond with simultaneous splashes. This was also very exciting for her to witness. It's so funny to see her little brain trying to comprehend what she's seeing.

When we walked through the parking lot of this apartment complex, two guys from the third floor balcony called down to us asking "Hey, is that a greyhound?!" He asked if it was a certain kind of greyhound and I said no, she's just a black one. Other people have asked me this while walking her. They are so impressed by her majestic physique and her graceful, lanky prance, but they often ask "What kind of greyhound is she? I've never seen a black one before." Maybe people are just not familiar with greyhounds. Either way, I feel so proud when I have her with me. You know how some people look like their dogs? Well, I think she looks perfect trotting next to me and/or Chris because both he and I are also tall and lanky.

Tomorrow we want to take her to the lake, either Lake Harriet or Medicine Lake, for a nice long walk and maybe a little dip (or more just lying down in the lake water). We hope to continue to keep socializing her and I've been bringing treats with me everywhere she goes to give to people to offer her if they want to greet her. We both have the day off tomorrow so we hope to give her lots of attention and playtime, which is becoming more frequent and WILD! She likes to wrestle wildly with her pillows, dominating them with intimidation and pouncing, and she is getting very good at tug-of-war. Sometimes she gets a little too excited, though, and lets out one loud, sharp bark, to which we immediately respond with a "no!" or "ah ah!", especially since playtime is often at one in the morning after we get home from work. On a side note, I really miss her when I am gone at work and I look forward to our return home after every shift. We can tell she misses us, too.

On another side note, Luna has been jumping up on us, sometimes up with her paws on our backs, at surprising and unexpected times. We are trying to teach her that this is not an appropriate way to express excitement or affection. One of the other greyhound owners at the GASSY walk said that Lu may have learned that from her brindle girl while dog sitting. I think she tries to sneak up on us to do it sometimes: SURPRISE! Or maybe she just gets bursts of excitement and overwhelming affection for us and she just explodes: I LOVE YOU AND I CAN'T CONTROL MYSELF I'M SORRY LET'S PLAY WILL YOU PET ME?!!! She still has the impulses of a puppy. A puppy with ADHD.



She reminds me of the dog (named Dug) from the movie Up (Disney Pixar). I like to imagine her saying things like "I do ever so want the ball!" or "I just met you and I love you." or "Hi, my name's Luna and I - SQUIRREL!!"



Tonight Luna could NOT get enough attention. She was acting like the world's most love-deprived, isolated dog. Drama queen. Lu was getting a good ear scratching when she suddenly noticed a flying bug spastically flying around and she followed it intently until it got close enough to jump up and snap at. She gave it 3 good tries but never did catch that bug mid-air. Maybe next time.

We are so glad she is coming out of her shell more every day. It has become a little more of a challenge in terms of obedience but it's worth the occasional frustration. It's great to see her personality. I can't wait until she is more comfortable with other people. I want others to see her personality soon, too. I'm secretly looking forward to seeing what other kinds of trouble she gets into. But don't tell her I said that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment